PROGRAMS AND SERVICES
NOTICE: Due to COVID, the Outlet is currently closed. An update will be provided at a later date
The food bank is open for single parent families. Please call 739-0709 for more information.
SPAN’s first and core service, it links the single parent to professionals and agencies with which SPAN has established a liaison for assistance, e.g. legal, medical, financial.
SPAN offers support, assistance and/or referral to professionals, where necessary.
Another practical help to single parent families – SPAN operates a “Thrifty Outlet” where single parents are able to puchase clothing, housewares, and many other items for just $5 a large garbage bag; food hampers are available for single parent families only. We receive ongoing support from Community Food Sharing with whom we are affiliated. Many retail stores also donate new clothing from older stock. In addition to this, many groups and individuals support the Outlet with donations of food, clothing, toys, books and small household items.
WHO CAN USE THIS SERVICE?
- Food hampers are available to single parent families only.
WHAT DO I NEED TO ACCESS THIS SERVICE?
- To register for food hampers only, single parents must present MCP cards for themselves and each child, as well as proof of single parent status. One of the following:
- If on Income Support, the current month’s Ambulance-Dental Drug Card (blue paper drug card), or
- The Child Tax Benefit Summary document from CRA (2019) or
- Court-issued Custody Papers.
WHEN IS IT AVAILABLE? (Currently closed)
- The Outlet is open Wednesday mornings for single parent clients only from 10 am – 1 pm.
- The Outlet is open to both the general public and single parents on Wednesday afternoon from 2 pm – 4 pm & Friday between 10:00 am – 1 pm, and 2:00 pm – 4:00 pm.
New Food Bank Hours and Procedures
- The food bank is open to single parent familes only on Wednesday, Thurdays and Fridays. You must call 739-0709 to make an appointment to pick up your hamper. There is contactless pick-up of the hampers and we ask all clients to wear masks.
- If you are a new client or an update of your documents is needed, these must be submitted by email to email@example.com before an appointment time can be booked.
- Food hampers are picked up at the rear of the building. Please drive around to the back of the building through the gate and park near the sheds.
- Please bring your own shopping bags as you will need to pack some of your groceries.
- For any further information, please call 739-3709.
The SPAN Food & Clothing Outlets gratefully accepts the following:
Donations are not being accepted for the Outlet for the foreseeable future. Donations of non-expired food are always accepted. Please call 738-3401 to arrange a time to drop off your donation.
– Toys (NO plush toys please)
– Books – no textbooks
– Food (not expired)
– Small Appliances
The Outlet does not accept:
– Car Seats or Booster Seats
– High Chairs
Thanks to the support of the general public, we are able to provide “lovingly used” formal dresses, suits, shoes, and other accessories, free of charge to young people for their proms. The items are distributed to any in need through the SPAN Outlet. It is not restricted to single parent families. The general public are invited to use this support as well, free of charge.
SESP is a program specifically designed to assist single parents in receipt of Income Support (social assistance), who need help getting started on their return to the workforce. Participants take part in 6-8 weeks of half-day classes which cover job search skills and personal life skills needed when working. Program participation is ongoing until the single parent becomes financially self-sufficient.
The Earned Income Supplement, continued personal help from our Employment Support Officers, assistance in job search, combined with all of the unique supports provided by SPAN have enabled over 1700 single parents to obtain employment.
Upon completion of classes, most participants quickly begin to decrease their dependence on government funding and by their third year of completion, at least one third no longer require Income Support.
WHO IS ELIGIBLE?
- Participants are single parents on income support.
WHEN DO CLASSES START?
- The program is currently offered through Zoom from the St. John’s office four times a year. Please call 738-3401 for more details.
WHAT IS INCLUDED?
- Ongoing enrollment & continuous support
- Group and Individual employment services and/or career counselling
- Professional resumes, cover letters, interview skills, etc.
- Financial management, Trades info., Goal Setting
- Confidence building and peer support
- Nutrition on a budget
- Empowerment skills
- Participants will continue to receive their Income Support during the program with no interruption of benefits.
- Transportation assistance
- Child care supports (as needed)
- Bi-weekly stipends which includes a training allowance
+ Professional staff to assist you
+ Ongoing individual services
+ Earned Income Supplement
+ Work related financial supports
SESP is available is to single parents in St. John’s and surrounding metro region at the SPAN Businesss Office located at 472 Logy Bay Road, St. John’s.
Contact Employment Services Officer, Aletha 709-738-3401 for more information.
Peer support is given in a variety of ways – group meetings, by personal appointment, telephone, or email. Please contact our general office at 738-3401 for more information.
School-age children (in Kindergarten-age 18) of lower income, single parent families are provided with a grade appropiate school supplies and bookbags. These kits are distributed in time for the start of the new school year in September.
Single parents may register by phone provided that they have used at least one of SPAN’s services in the last year: (1) Completed the SESP program in the last year, (2) Used the previous year’s Christmas program, (3) Used the most recent Back to School program or (4) Used the SPAN food bank in the last year.
For others who have not had the above contacts with SPAN, in-person registration will be required. For further information regarding registration and date call the general office at 738-3401 by early July.
In partnership with many local businesses, organizations and individuals, SPAN provides many single parent families with much needed help at Christmas by supplying food and gifts.
WHO CAN APPLY?
- Any lower income single parent.
HOW AND WHEN DO I APPLY?
- Registration is now closed.